Tuesday, July 29, 2014

“It’s July and I am a superintendent in Florida…..”




As I have traveled around the state this month, a common theme has persisted. Mother Nature has not cooperated with maintenance practices in the “Sunshine State.” As a matter of fact, it seems that she has gone out of her way to be rather troublesome. 

From the southeast to southwest and central parts of the state, superintendents have been working around rainfall and lightning as they attempt to get midsummer work completed. I spoke with a few superintendents, and one relayed that he had received 15 inches of rain over a seven-day period that coincided with his aerification program. Another superintendent indicated that this has been the third wettest summer in his 15 years at his facility.

What has really caught my attention isn’t the weather itself but rather the way GCSAA members persevere through the hardships it has created. I have yet to speak to an individual who has said that Mother Nature has gotten the best of them. Everybody has come up with a plan B and C, and sometimes D, to work around the inconveniences thrown at them. As one superintendent put it when I asked how he was doing, “It’s July and I am a superintendent in Florida. I am making the best of it!” It seems like the individuals in this industry truly shine when the deck is most stacked against them.

There may be some tired faces around the state, but nobody has been defeated. It is because of this mentality that it is a pleasure to associate with the men and women who hold the position of golf course superintendent. In these times, it is also important to know that GCSAA is by your side with resources to help you communicate the issues with which you are dealing. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me!!

Ralph Dain
785.424.4306

No comments:

Post a Comment